Spaghetti and Truthballs
Wednesday, December 21, 2005
  So... Do they give God out with your college degree's?
Take two steps back for this little rant, I may get struck with lightening.

A dear friend, who shall remain nameless, politely asked me to join Facebook. It is a place you can find all of your long lost class mates, and college buddies.

Really, I figured I was safe. I don't honestly care to be in connection with most of the people I spent "the best years of my life" (AKA Highschool) with. No hard feelings, I just like my current posse' one hell of a lot better.

Well, apparently people can search the databases by highschool. And apparently people want to get into contact with me.

I went to a regular public highschool, with regular folk, and they were regular highschool people. They did the drink, party, study repeat thing.

Every last one of these kids has now "found God" and has taken it to the next step by plastering bible quotes all over their page.

And then right next to those bible quotes, there are the stories of "this one night when I got plastered...."

Don't get me wrong. I am not sacreligious, but my beef with organized religion is proven right here.

HYPOCRITES.
 
Comments:
In my opinion the value of all these high school reunion websites is vastly overrated. Personally, any childhood friend worth keeping was kept as long as there was a legitimate bond between us. As time wore on the pages kept turning and the stories told themselves, as all stories eventually do. Some of the friendships deepened, some detoured, some destructed, and some just disappeared.

You can only relive the memories of that crazy year in Mr. Snagglepuss's economics class so many times before the acquaintanceship devolves into a lame echo chamber filled with highly personalized but nevertheless cliche nostalgia.

Fortunately for me, I did it the other way 'round. I was the kid with the Bible quotes plastered all over everything until the end of my junior year, when I started down the path to joining the "one night when I got plastered" boys.

Fittingly, although I made different friends in both of those teen phases, it is the friends who were able to love the same core "Andy" hidden underneath both the Holiness and the Hedonism who have remained treasures I appreciate more every year.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

ARCHIVES
August 1990 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 /


Powered by Blogger